Wednesday 15 February 2012

Family User Friendly Pools




"Families hold the key to the success of public swimming pools, a recent report has confirmed. The research, undertaken by leading interactive play supplier, Hippo Leisure, warns that leisure pools that do not provide for the family market will lose out to those centres that are more willing to invest."

"Hippo was not surprised that 100% of managers stated that families are the main users of leisure centre swimming pools thus generating the largest amount of income. Senior citizens, students, swim clubs and disabled groups only accounted for a small proportion of the customer base of leisure centres."


Looking at the above research and comparing it to the existing pools in Derry, it is very clear to see that there is a problem. Alot of the local Leisure Centres have a very large pool for experienced and professional swimmers and a very small pool for learners and children. I do not feel that it has been taken into account that it is not only children that occupy these more shallow pools. It is entire families and also adults who either cannot swim and/or are disabled. In my own experience I feel that when I take my child to the pool, there is not enough room in the shallow pool and the deeper pool is nearly empty. Where is the sense in that?

Also there are no permanent play features such as slides etc put in place in two out of three pools in Derry. These leisure centres are not reaching their full potential. Public Sector departments opperate solely to provide a service to the public and in not catering to the needs of children and families I feel they are abononing their duties. Never mind missing out on a larger consumer base as customer satisfaction is not being acheieved and ultimately the public sector is loosing out on alot of potential profit.

As I am designing a family friendly pool I would like to include some interesting swimming pool features which will be fun and also attrative and also educational. I am going to look at other ways in which people have added sensory play features for children and also ways in which I can improve confidence in pools.








These ideas are very interesting. I would like to look the ways in some of these products have been designed and use my own technique. I am not a big fan of 'Themes' I find that quite kitch. I also find that colour can be over used and through general wear and tear will fade easily. And so I am going to try and find a way of including the fun factor, but also in a way which compliments the entire space and not just the childrens area. I will make use of more neutral and calming colours, however still premoting a family welcoming, fun packed, environment.

http://www.hippoleisure.com/Interactive_Swimming/Sensory_Play_Panels.php

Further to this I would like to have a look at Water Features such as fountains that people have designed. Any type of feature created with water in mind will be a useful research tool in my design process as I feel they may also generate some design ideas.

Bellagio Fountain
Nine Floating Fountains
ChristChurch Dandilion Fountain
Trafalgar Square Fountains

This Image, and the next two, are features from a company called Blowzone. I like the way these have been greated with glass, lighting and water, these are the sorts of things I would be interesting in looking into in more detail.

I am quite interesting in making use of alot of glass and transparent surfaces in my designs and it is interesting to see the different effects that other people have acheived.

This peice is very fun and i like the thought of having objects in and among the glass. I want to make use of a few glass/transparent/translucent walls and was thinking that it may be a bit of a danger incase of swimmers not seeing it and colloding with it. This could be a way to prevent such things from happening.

I love the use of lighting and reflection in this peice.There is a good use of colour also, it sort of looks natural in a way.


No comments:

Post a Comment